Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Week 14

Week 14 started out pretty good physically...and then I woke up with a sore throat and general achiness this morning. The only thing that got me through the sore throat last night were the halls vitamin C cough drops...falling asleep with a choking hazard, I know! I would love to just stay in bed all day today and rest, but I am really behind on my thesis, so I will have to drag my sorry self to the desk. I am working from home all week - definitely not going in again after the way Monday lab meeting went. I don't understand why some PI's (hmmm...I wonder who) make life incredibly difficult and make no attempt to listen to what you are saying. Extremely frustrating! In the long run, I know it will be best to move on and start fresh somewhere new...I just wish I had something lined up for July 1st so I could stop worrying about our finances and the future.

I definitely have a little belly bump - not just amorphous weight gain anymore! Yippee! It is really noticeable after I eat meals - I swear I balloon out each evening only to sink back down by the morning. It is going to be obvious in a few weeks, I think.

We are very fortunate to have so many neighbors with little kids and babies. One set is moving out of the country and has given us many many things - a wonderful high chair, infant car seat, toys, a baby bjorn (cloth carrier for the baby), and crib with mattress for a very nominal amount(thank you!). And another gave us a wonderful (practically new) pack and plays set. We can use that to stop the dogs from running over the baby. My friend Christie very generously gave me a pump (keeping fingers crossed that I will have a job by then and actually get to use it!) and toys and clothes - I love all the bibs - so cute. We will need some more things, so we started registries on amazon and target and I don't think we need many more big items - well, a changing table, stroller, and rocker for the late night feedings would be nice and sheets for the crib! I think we will be able to afford those things over time. We will have to plan ahead and not be tempted to go overboard. It is hard, there are so many cute things out there!

Ian finally admitted last night that he would prefer a girl as well. He thinks it would be great if she would call him "Daddy." Even as an adult - which I find hilarious. Wow, if we would have a girl she would be the most spoiled girl ever! Maybe a boy would be better...nah, who am I kidding! We'll see in a 6 more weeks...

I read that I could start feeling the baby kick as early as week 14. That would be really neat, I think. It will probably happen after I get back from the conference in Chicago in two weeks. Not looking forward to the trip that much. A little nervous about traveling when not feeling particularly great, although Chicago is a great city. I have to give a talk (ugh, the nerves!) and now I am also stuck handling another lab member's poster. Fun for me!


Oh well, I have much to do today...better get on it!
Marie

No comments: