Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pregnancy post 13 weeks

I thought it would be a good idea to start documenting this whole pregnancy...the good, the bad, and everything in between. Going to try to do this on a weekly basis.
We are at about 13 weeks now. Have a doctor's appointment on Friday for a checkup. Hopefully we will hear something, though I doubt we will get another ultrasound.

The past 6-7 weeks have been difficult - at times downright crappy. Last week I started to feel a little more energetic, but then vomiting started. Not terrible (well except for vomiting at school, but fortunately no one was around and I was able to grab a trash bag in time)...I remember my friend Sonal's morning sickness and that was something terrible. At least it isn't like that...yet! Working from home most days has been wonderful, though I wish I could have been even more productive than I was.

I'd say all of this started with nausea and extreme fatigue at about 7 weeks and it has now evolved to a little nausea, a bit more energy, and for the good parts (haha) - heartburn, headaches, and vomiting. Tums is my best friend. Hello little jar of mixed berry smooth dissolve...I am sure we will have dinner together this evening. I thought 12 weeks was a magic number...but looks like not this time. I have always been quick to gag at a nasty odor and known for my super sniffer, but now it seems that even cleaning up after the zoo creatures (which I have plenty of experience) or the body odor of a fellow train passenger can trigger a bad reaction. Sorry, buddy, didn't mean to gag so openly when you sat down near me last week! At the worst of it, I was feeling a bit detached and not really excited about the baby, but that is starting to also go away.

Today Ian ordered two slings (one for him, one for me) for carrying the baby per my friend Christie's recommendation (25% off - can't beat that!). That would be our first purchase for the little one! We have to really be selective about our purchases, and resist the urge to buy anything but the necessities...I am potentially jobless as of July 1st afterall (another stressor...really need to start that prenatal yoga so I can learn how to deal!). Ugh, and still dealing with the financial consequences of the wedding. Oh well, the baby may not have the fanciest toys/crib/stroller/clothes, but it will have plenty of attention. Need to focus on the positive!

We decided that we would make a space in the spare bedroom for a crib/changing table...make it kind of a nursery of sorts. I am thinking of painting a mural on the one wall too. We also made a list of tentative names. Ian insisted we choose a few girls names as well, though I am POSITIVE this is going to be a boy. Cursed, I tell you!

I am glad to be finally thinking of the fun things rather than feeling like pregnancy is the biggest curse to ever strike women. Well, it still isn't all that great, but I am going to try to keep an open mind for the second trimester. Let's not even think about the 3rd, when I will be as big as a house and dealing with a whole new set of issues (ugh, swollen ankles, trouble sleeping...!). Already starting to feel some weight gain...let's hope the waddling holds off until the 3rd!

Anyway, all of this has made it difficult to work on writing my thesis, but I am starting to make a bit more progress. Going to keep at it the next two weeks and hopefully turn it into something presentable! In fact, I only have ten more minutes of goofing off time before I have to get back to work. Better end this for now.
Marie

No comments: