Sunday, September 13, 2009

Birthday cake for all!

This monster cake (two tier 9 x 13") is actually two cakes in disguise. The one half is chocolate cake with raspberries and a raspberry cream filling and the other half is vanilla cake with strawberries and strawberry cream. Swiss meringue buttercream covered the entire thing with strawberries as the finishing touch.

Ian's Birthday began with a hearty breakfast. We then met my Mom and went to the Chili Pepper Festival in Topton. He LOVES that festival and was itching to go since we missed it last year. He said he tasted the hottest thing ever this year - it made him hiccup and eyes water. Didn't buy that one! Fortunately, the rain broke for the hour that we were there - no lines or crowds so we cruised through fairly quickly though the mud was awful. So glad we were able to go-Ian really like it.

We sang Happy Birthday at my sister's, with my Mom and Dad, Nicole and Jamie, the kids: Ryder, Eve, Tessa, Dawson, Leif, Sawyer, Griffin, Maeve, and Aspen and friends Sarah and Sophia. We forgot our camera, so I took pics with Nicole's camera...will post as soon as I get them. Everyone got to pick their cake, and the kids loved the fresh strawberries. Only a little bit left for Ian to eat the next day, in addition to his German chocolate cake!
-Marie

2 comments:

Christie said...

My god, Marie. Forget the PhD...just bake! I can vouch for the deliciousness of all that you make. The fact that it looks pretty when completed takes it to a new level. I hope everyone enjoyed your confections.

Ian said...

Thanks, Christie! It was a hit I think...definitely with Ian!